Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Too Cold

Well I finally did it and caved to the cold. Still waiting to finish rebuilding cages before I install the automatic watering system and changing frozen water bottles 2-3 times a day, having to keep newly sheared bunnies inside for a week or two even w/ their coats on, and practically freezing to death every time I went out to check on them got to be too much so I went and bought the feared heater for the bunny shed. I've been so afraid of putting a heater in there. It would kill me if it caught fire, however I've already lost a litter to the cold and I have four rabbit due to be sheared this month and as much as I'd like to they can't all live inside until their wool comes back. So I bit the bullet and made a stand in the middle of the shed and put the heater in. Again I am thankful that I insisted on putting the shed where it is. It is on the back side of the house with about a foot of space in between the outer wall of the shed and our house. On the other side of the wall, inside the house is our bed. I sleep against the wall and I can hear every little thump. I can hear a waterbottle falling off of a cage at 2 am and while the husband isn't always thrilled about my "that thumping sounds funny, we need to check them" obsessivness I am once again thankfull that they are so close because of course, before we put the heater in we installed a super sensitive extra loud smoke alarm at the same level as the heater and against the wall near my bed. We also spent about 45 min running the heater in the house to see how hot it got and once it was going hot dropped and threw bits of fuzz and hay at it in various ways to see just what would happen. Mostly nothing though one lucky toss did manage to get some angora into it and onto the heating part, it just kind of sizzled a bit until it was gone, not even any smoke and def. not any sparks or flames. Still, I am a bit nervous about it and I wouldn't leave it running unless I was home. So though I am anxiously checking them more often that before they are now warm and cozy and seem much happier.
On a less stressful note both passion (satin) and marigold (english) are in the house in their maternity suites hopefully getting ready to gift me with some beautiful babies. I am about 75% sure that marigold is not pregnant, but I brought her in anyway because I would rather be safe than sorry. Passion on the other hand I'm pretty sure she is, though I've never been very good at feeling for bunny babies unless they're actually jumping around in there.

2 comments:

Jules Cox said...

Hi Jordan, your post reminded me - there was a rabbit at my local humane society, and I wasn't sure if it was a lionhead or an angora who had been partially sheared. I wondered if you would mind giving your official opinion! Sorry I only have one picture ...

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s195/mommyfox42/TX30915513364-1-x.jpg?t=1263604225

Thank you!
-Julie

Jordan said...

It's lionhead or lionhead cross. If you're ever unsure look at the ears, sometimes it's hard to tell weight by a picture (lionheads are waaay smaller than angoras) but even as babies angoras have good sized ears and lionheads have tiny cute little baby ears.