Monday, July 12, 2010

Fiber U - Lebanon Missouri

It's been much too long since I've been on here and I've accumulated quite a few things to blog about!

This weekend (july 10-11) We headed out to Fiber U in Lebanon Missouri to vend and see all of our fiber friends. We had a really great time and the festival went well for it's first year. I sent some very nice alpaca fleece from Big River Alpacas off to Ozark Carding Mill to be blended with Milk Protein for a super nice roving while we were there and my husband bought himself a 32 inch Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom. My friend Maggie from Robin Ridge Rabbitry came along and the three of us each put in an entry for the Fancy Kitty Bench Picker that they were giving away with the agreement that if any of us won we would share it and on Sunday when they called a name it was my friend maggie!! So now I have a beautiful new picker sitting on my kitchen table and I've been playing with it since I came home!












I really hate chain hotels and restaurants and the husband knows it, so we try to avoid them when at all possible. Once again he came through and picked a place (one of his official festival duties) for us to stay that I just loved! We headed down to Richland, just a bit down the road from Lebanon to The Cave Restaurant and Resort. We had a nice dinner at the restaurant, which is actually inside of the cave! The food is simple but good, it definitely fills you up and the medium rare steak that I ordered was perfect, just warm in the middle and cooked on the outside exactly like I like it. Then we headed down to our little cabin, which was super convenient, very rustic and absolutely perfect for us :) The Cabins have a full kitchen stocked with utensils, silverwear, dishes, and everything else that you could need plus a full sized stove, sink, fridge, table and chairs, ect. I was so thrilled, we sat out on the porch and watched the sun set, accompanied by the two friendly dogs that live on the property. It was such a great place to stay and so quiet and private. We had such a great time and I woke up totally refreshed and ready to face the second day.












Lastly, on the way home we got a little hungry so we stopped in Rolla for a bite to eat. Our gps led us to check out a little place called A Slice of Pie and though the town had just been hit by a storm that took out the traffic lights and many local businesses power too they were still open and so friendly, we bought two slices to snack on for the drive home and as soon as we started in on them wished that we'd bought a few more. I got the blackberry crumb and Vince got Pecan and both were really really good.






And that's all for today. Next post will be about our trip to Indiana for the Hoosier Hills Fiber Festival, I had meant to blog about that quite a while ago but sometimes life gets so crazy!

















3 comments:

Sidonie said...

OMG!...we LOVE A Slice of Pie!...they have amazing desserts... You guys hav to come by with the kiddos and spend the evening visiting. You can pick through the fleeces while you are here and do the farm tour....And now I will have a fiber buddy to visit on my way home from STL, lol ( after you guys move) Lovely effort this weekend... lets hope for a better attendance next year...

Mariposa Farm Alpacas said...

Due to car issues I had to miss Fiber U. Sorry to miss seeing you. It sounds like a great time. I've been to The Cave restaurant before - it used to be called Caveman BBQ. It's a fun time.

Unknown said...

I've been to the cave restaurant and stayed in the cabins there. So much fun! It used to be called Caveman BBQ and the owner back then said that once upon a time the cave was used for dances and they called it Dance Hall Cave from there on. The Gasconade is beautiful from the balcony view!