Monday, April 20, 2009

Too good not to post!

While digging in the garden this afternoon I noticed that my green onions were doing really well so I yanked a bunch up, enough to share with the neighbors and have plenty for myself. sitting there looking at my bunch of rather large, delicious looking little onions I decided to go in search of a recipe that would show them off and found this one. We had it for dinner tonight and I didn't think to take pictures but it was wonderful. Everyone loved it and I was so happy to use my onions! One thing though, before you add cream and 2nd cup of mushrooms the soup should be strained through a colander to get out any stringy onion bits that didn't get pureed enough. Other than that it was a perfect seasonal recipe and I am very very happy with it.


INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter
6 bunches green onions
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
5 cups vegetable broth
2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup heavy cream

1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt the butter and add the green onions, along with salt and pepper to taste. Saute for a few minutes, until the onions are softened, then add broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup of the mushrooms. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth, then put the soup back in the pot, add the cream and the remaining mushrooms, and heat gently (do not boil) until the mushrooms are tender.
3. Serve warm.
Serves 4

No comments: