Tuesday, April 28, 2009

the garden

This morning I woke up early and got 40 (yes, I counted them) more tomato plants in the ground. Then I had a conversation with the peppers and remaining tomatoes about being patient and not dying before I planted them. My carrots and radishes are looking good, my cabbage and brussle sprouts and other spring goodies are coming along nicely, and I am getting ready to plant another round of peas. I realized last year that If I plant the peas on the other side of the house and I keep planting in sucsession that I can have peas all summer long even though they don't like the heat. The beds that I have at the back of the house get shade for most of the day and it stays cool enough that even my lettuce doesn't really bolt over there. I've been sprouting morning glory seeds for the last few days and they are just about ready to plant. I never had much luck with morning glories until a friend told me how to sprout them and now I have the most amazing display every summer when I wake up in the morning. To get big healthy morning glories the best way is to ignore the directions on the seed packet and get a damp paper towel. Spread the seeds out on the paper towel, fold it up and put it in a ziplock bag. Label the bag and forget about it for between 3-6 days and then when you remember and open up the bag you will have morning glory seedlings ready to go in the ground. Mine are just about ready and that means that tonight I will have to get out there and get the sunflowers planted so that I can put the morning glories at thier feet. Oh well, it is time for me to shower and head off to my friend Anne's house for a day of spinning and fun!

1 comment:

Totally Timmy said...

We have another month before we can start planting anything! Sounds like you are off to a great start!