Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Beast


Well, for x-mas I bought myself my first wheel. It's nice enough, I don't really know much about wheel's as this is my first one and I had never spun on a wheel or even touched one before mine came in the mail. I am sure that I am doing multiple somethings wrong and that I will eventually figure it out. Right now I am going through cycles where I get adventurous and pull it out of the closet, then I get angry and banish it back to the closet, behind the clothes where I do not have to look at it. I call her the beast and I'm not sure that we like each other at all. Today I decided to try to ply two singles that I had spun on my drop spindle. I did fix some minor problems, I put a yoga mat underneath of it and that stopped the movement across the floor. But I am having issues with the way it winds onto the bobbin, issues with the drive band, issues with treadling, and issues with those issues. I had really hoped that she would come in the mail and we would be best friends but it's just not happening. I had planned on a pretty paint job but I have a hard time wanting to make the effort when every time I try to mess with it I end up in tears. I finally did get the yarn plied and it came out pretty nicely but that is besides the point. Maybe she just has low self esteem from all the bad names that I call her......

Anyway, it's put me in a rather foul mood today and now I don't want to do anything that I was supposed to do today. Maybe i will just bring Tigerlily in and forget about all the rest.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Oh, my, you sound terribly frustrated! Don't give up!!
I live not far from you - in House Springs. (But I'm a LOT older than you!) I began spindle spinning in November. For Christmas I got a Louet S10. (Well, it actually came in January.) You can usually get the price back that you paid for a wheel, so I thought I'd give it a try. I had never sat down at one either. I got an inexpensive (and UGLY) one to see if I could do it and how I'd like it. I spin at least a little every day - usually for several hours. She's UGLY, but she works great!! However, I like fingering and lace weight. And while the S10 will do it, I have to treadle 9 times as much as other wheels because the ratio is only 9:1. So I already bought my second wheel and it came last Friday. It's an Ashford Joy and it's meant for thinner yarns. WooHoo! I'm lovin it!!
Anyway, to get back to your frustration - they say the only way to get better is with practice. Try to do a little every day. Don't put it in the closet! Peddle slowly - that will give you time to draft. I'll try to help you out with any specific problems you have - just email me! Also, if you belong to Ravelry, check out the groups. They have one for every brand of spinning machine and they give lots of good advice.
I wish you luck! And please, don't hesitate to contact me if you think I might be able to help you.
Spin on!
Pat

spotted dog farm said...

Hello! Just also wanted to offer encouragement on your wheel. Is it a Majacraft Pioneer? It's really hard to learn to spin without someone right there to help. But like Pat said, Ravelry really is fantastic in that there is just a ton of information and helpful people right there to answer questions. If you're not already a member, you should join - plus there are also people talking angora bunnies!

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly new to spinning, knitting, angoras. I somehow plunged into it all and have pretty much self taught what I know with a little research help from the web. Trust me it will click. I died laughing and had to share with the husband when I read your post. You sound like I did. Keep your sense of humor and don't give up!
Lori
ljangoras@aol.com